Sunday, October 27, 2013

Life without a heater

Assalamualaikum

It is the Fall season. Temperatures "soar" to only about 65 F in the day and fall to 45 F in the night (that's 7 degrees Celsius man) and for Karachites, this weather is nothing but ...
C
O
L
D
!!!

And the heating has stopped working in the new place we moved to (did I mention the moving dilemmas on this blog? Can't remember). And so the previous apartment was a little on the small side. This one is a little big and wayyy draughtier! The cold outside somehow seeps in (it's a very old house) and the lack of heating for the past 3 days now has left us wondering how do people live on the streets in the cold? Those people who don't have a home, how do they manage?

However many layers of clothing I wore around the house, socks and what not, the cold just wouldn't go away! The house just got colder.

There came a point where I agreed to go somewhere because the car heater would work and I will have some heat on my face!!

How do these people live?




These images are from this year's winter months (early in 2013) and the same will be the case in the coming months, because the Syrian crisis isn't any better now.

Their plight seems even more real now that I have to breath in the cold air (and due to a sinus problem), I get a cold/headache thing very easily, which again, is disrupting my focus on studies. But that's just it! I have food, I have enough clothes to keep myself warm and everything else Alhamdulillah. The only thing I don't have right now is heat! These people have been driven out of their homes, many have lost their family, they're living on donations and humanitarian aid! For such a long time! And they don't know when they're going to go back home and whether their home still remains in the places from which they fled.

I cannot even imagine what test these people are going through and these are my brothers and sisters in Islam. We're one whole body, right? One part hurts, the whole body hurts. So why am I getting lost in the worries of my own life without thinking about this very huge part of my body being plundered, and hurt by others?

And most importantly, what do I do about it?

These questions have been plaguing me for a long time now. Getting lost in the PhD program doesn't seem like a very right answer to this problem. But leaving the PhD program wouldn't help either.

What to do? I'm leaving it as an open question to whoever reads this. What in the world should a Muslim do whose various parts of the body are being hurt repeatedly and consistently for a long time now.

Any suggestions?

3 comments:

Tauqeer said...

Give to charity.

Uni said...

@Tauqeer
Sure. But that's like, giving ibrupofen to a person who has infection. How do we prevent it?

That's the real question.

In the future, if Egypt drives its own people out, we will again give them charity... if Yemen does it - again, charity. Logically, there has got to be something we can do, that this sort of thing NEVER happens..!

Hope you understand.

Sangeetha said...

Find the best details about heater at edial to get more information