Allaah's Messenger (sallallaahu ’alayhi wasallam) said: "Whoever meets Allaah , without associating partners with Him, will enter Paradise; and whoever meets Him as one who associated anything with Him, will enter the Fire.” [Saheeh Muslim]
My first impression on reading this Hadith was pretty joyous. I mean, how hard can it be..? For an average Muslim, there is no God but Allah. So no sweat right?
But you see, the simplistic explanation (dil ko behlanay wali) is always the base-line - or the zeroth level... or the co-ordinate (0,0)... any way you like. The meaning always builds up in layers, on the base line. The base is 'belief in One God, that is Allah SWT' ..sure. But what are the layers of multiple and additional meanings upon this one sentence (so coherent Masha Allah. Note how compact the saying is...and what wealth of meaning it carries behind it).
Now, the following thinking I am typing down is no way supposed to imply that I am some big scholar who has grasped the ENTIRE meaning of this Hadith - no way. So just a disclaimer: This post is not the be-all end-all of the Hadith.
So now to the layers of meaning. Note the saying again.. The Hadith says, and whoever meets Him as one who associated anything with Him, will enter the Fire.
The Hadith could have said "And whoever meets Him as one who associated another GOD with Him, will enter the Fire" - but it's saying the word 'anything' ... Hence, the layers of meaning begin to add up.
We should ask ourselves this question: Have we ever equated wealth with God ... (some might answer, outraged 'NO' ) .. *grin*. Maybe some of ustruly haven't. But this is one of the common-est entity taken to be greater than God Himself. How, you may ask?
- Ever seen somebody making wealth/more wealth/more and more wealth by doing things that are forbidden in Islam? Like, singing ?? Movies?? Production of indecent movies ?? Development of malicious software ??
- Plagiarizing others' work and submitting it in order to earn money?? Hence, indulging in dishonesty...
- Doing/Solving somebody else's assignment/work - or writing somebody's homework - in order to earn money? (extremely common in the freelance writing world)
- Ever seen people involved in vulgarity (on streets, on the internet, behind closed doors etc) ... all to make money?
- Ever seen people accumulating wealth via interest - investing in modern banking schemes that are sure to earn them interest and give them 'accumulation' and 'silah' of their 'good credit history' ???
- Ever seen people indulging in leaking out exam papers, and selling the copies for millions?
- Ever seen sportsmen throwing a match, or doing spot fixing in order to earn millions?
- Ever seen politicians, willing to sell out their own country-men/women, letting lose murderers, and glorifying thieves - all in the name of 'national interest' whereas it's not actually anybody's interest, but their own pockets' ??
- I can go on here :P
- First and foremost: Lying! Lying about events, twisting them in certain ways, adding or subtracting information, adding spicy bits, telling a tale in a much humorous manner so that one can be appreciated in a crowd.. all these fall in this category. The conclusion: One has put his/her own personal glory above the commands of Allah SWT. And btw, a lil bit of spice here and there also constitutes as lying.. so one should be REALLY careful ... :S (it's a hard thing to adopt waisay: control of the tongue to this extent.. but one should at least try their level best to practice it).
- Backbiting : Talking bad or silly about somebody behind their backs. One of the most common ways (and most common in girls :(...) to put your own glory/personal aims in front of the command of Allah. And btw, this command (of refraining from backbiting) has come in the Holy Quran! Surah Hujarat.. That's one major sin if not obeyed!
- Sarcasm: One of the most subtle ways of getting personal glory. The more sarcastic you are, chances are you will be considered the 'funniest' and 'most hilarious' and 'zinda-dil' person in a crowd. But one should remember, that sarcasm is also one command explicitly mentioned in the Quran (Surah Hujarat again) and this should not be indulged in.. ever! (Girls should be cautioned more here... again :'(...) - no matter how 'dumb' the other person is, and how much 'he/she deserved it!' :S
- Not praying namaaz (fardh salah!) on time because of lack of time
- Not reading the Quran regularly cuz of lack of time ( :(( )
- Not educating one-self with knowledge of deen, because there isn't enough time
- Total disrespect of Islamic traditions when our television sets (or PC) is on...
- When we're watching hilarious comedy stuff on TV/internet and that comedy involves some pretty seriously vulgar stuff
- When TV shows and dramas involving 'extra-marital affairs' and 'mum-and-daughter-running-after-same-man' become commonly accepted and even 'loved' because they're so entertaining
- When shows like 'Friends' and some Urdu version of it too become totally hit - even though their content also involves some blatant disobedience to rules set by Allah SWT
- When April Fool's day becomes 'just a joke yaar' - not caring about the fact that 'just a joke' might be taken seriously by somebody (hence, it can be dangerous) and dishonesty isn't really permitted by Allah, no matter how 'hilariously entertaining' it is...
- When celebrating 'Valentine's Day' becomes 'just a day to express some love yar, it can be b/w mum and child too!' -- when everybody knows the real entertainment value comes from the prohibited kinda love and not the permitted kinda love..
- I can go on here :P
May Allah Prevent us from falling into the traps of Shirk - in any shape, form and texture. Ameeen
Lastly, an inspiring close to this post:
"If you desire Allah to be persistent in granting you the thing you love, be persistent in doing the things He loves." [Imam Ahmad Ibn Hanbal]
[So .. :) one implication of the above is that how on earth could we expect our duas to be accepted for this semi-final when we were involved in so many things which Allah Does NOT Love , wrt this game? Namely: waste of time, mixed functions where girls and guys could dance and cheer the team etc etc]