Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Changes :)

Assalamualaikum

If I compare the present situation to a few months back, there are few changes that strike me as extremely huge.. and things I never expected to happen. Some changes are NOT for the better, I mean, I am certainly not happy over them .. But some are actually cool :)

The cool ones I will touch upon in this post insha Allah.

1. In yesterday's OS class, Sir was talking about "records" and then he mentioned "Data Structures" .. The reason why he just mentioned them was that these were just being USED in our lecture, not to be studied in detail. He (as usual) asked the whole class, "Data structures are an integral part of computer systems engineering, you must have all done this in your undergrad." Everybody nodded :D.. except me .. And then he asked, "Who hasn't done them before?" .. Among people's disbelieving glances, I had to raise my hand. (It really IS an integral topic ... **apologetically**). But the change is that previously, being singled out on THIS used to turn me completely off the lecture. I used to sink in this depression kinda thing that hey, I don't KNOW this so I can't DO this... and learning new things all over again sounds IMPOSSIBLE.. All negative negative. But now, I just raised my hand, he instructed me to work hard, I smiled and nodded... and the lecture went on. Lol. And then it was a great moment when one of the best students in class asked me to explain some lines of pseudocode to her .. (this programming stuff btw is really really hard: Ada - but I'm not being negative here, I love the challenge).

2. Currently, in my university, there are some job openings which previously I would have jumped (very high btw) to apply to. I would be rushing around to meet the deadline, getting documents and what not. My friends are going for it (and I wanted to teach too :S). But you see, these jobs are for my undergrad dept. And those people weren't very happy that one of their students chose another department over theirs. And this is never in favour of future teaching applicants. I was said this very bluntly at my MS interview, and by one of the classmates who is teaching now. So the change is that instead of moaning and goraning about my fate and how unfair these policies are, I decided to forego this one chance here, get myself capable of applying to the current dept (which I will only be eligible after this elongated MS **tries not to scowl**) :) - OR try for a PhD.

Khair. What else did I note within me and my circle of 'happenings' .. Hm. Oh yeah. My Quran course.

3. We had this Fiqh test which I was quite apprehensive about (no surprise). The test was all notes-based, except for the last question, which was "Koi aisay chaar jadeed masaail likhain jin main fiqah kee zaroorat paish aayy" (Name any four modern problems for which Fiqh is needed to provide an answer). This was the only question we had to answer using our own knowlegde. This test wasn't marked, but the teacher had added comments to everybody's paper. Nearly everybody got either Shabash (Good), Hasanti (Er, it also means good I believe), or no comment (if the paper hadn't gone very well). My paper (surprisingly) got a different comment. And it said "Alla-humma Zidd Fa-zidd" (if my memory serves me well). I stared at the comment in puzzlement, could only make out the Alla humma bit which means "May Allah" - Khair :). The test paper was passed around the whole class, and nobody could figure it out. The teacher's class had ended and she had left. I came home, showed it to parents... they scratched their heads over it and Dad said that it MEANS something positive I tell you *grin*... sis thought it sounds like I need to improve and Chotpo agreed :D.... (and btw, I agree too .. I need to improve in almost everything). So the next day, I went up to the teacher and asked her what this means, and know what she answered ?

She: Well, it is a duaĆ” which means that May Allah increase you more and more in your ilm and your fehm (ilm = knowledge and fehm = understanding I think). And she said it so smilingly that I took it as a positive comment and went away smilingly :D. Not bad for a first test. Another change.

4. Arabic Grammar had seemed like a nightmare - but the full marks in the first test seemed like another ray of hope to a stupidly negative heart.

5. I met someone very very inspiring Masha Allah. I don't think I should mention names, since there is a privacy issue, but there are some people on this planet, from whom you learn a lot... and you tend to look up to them, ask their advice, and trust their judgement. Their struggles (though they must have seemed hard to them) act like a beacon of hope for you, and you start believing that your struggles might just prove fruitful someday. Their hard work is an inspiration, their passion for their work and management techniques are impressive and one can't help hoping that one is going to end up hopefully something like such people. Their caring attitude surprises you, and their words encourage you. *grins*. I probably shouldn't have dedicated this whole paragraph to this story, but I'm amazed at the nice-pan of certain people who don't hesitate to help virtual strangers and gratitude should be shown, I think.

I should be signing off now. What a day to write a positive post :S.. I have an AI test tomorrow, and haven't been able to figure out the assignment due tomorrow. *sighs heavily*. ANNs (Artificial Neural Networks) are SO not easy to implement. Sniff.

Ahem. And I thought I was turning positive :P

 

15 comments:

Umer said...

You really didn't study Data Structures while being an undergrad? That indeed is a bit weird. And OS is good.

Uni said...

You're not the first one to say that :).. everybody does. And OS MAY be good ..:S but I somehow don't see anything like OS development here in Pakistan.. Everybody just USES them :S.. (I may be wrong here).

And it's so heck dry :S

Thanks for dropping by :)

Ahmar said...

I studied data structues in undergrad and now I remember nothing from it :)..

Umer said...

OS development in a huge task and Pakistan is not much into Windows OS development, but as far as Linux is concerned, Pakistans are doing well.

And it indeed is dry but once ou start exploring the vast world of technology behind it and within it, you can't help paying attention to it.

Uni said...

@Ahmar
Lol. If subjects don't come in any use later, nobody remembers them :)

@Umer
Well... I'd love to hear more on this Linux development in Pakistan. Where and at what level is this happening ..any idea?

Thanks both for dropping by :)

Uni said...

And it indeed is dry but once ou start exploring the vast world of technology behind it and within it, you can't help paying attention to it.

Indeed :) I like the tech behind it .. but it doesn't stop it from being oh-so-dry :P

Umer said...

Other than several certifications in various versions of Linux, there's research work going on as well. Take a look at this:

http://www.osrc.org.pk/downloads/OSS-Groups-Forums.pdf

Now, I'm not a Computer Science student so I don't have indepth knowledge of this but according to a CS friends, Karachi is even ahead of Lahore in Linux development. The official distributers of OpenTech RedHat have an office in Karachi:

http://www.apac.redhat.com/pakistan/

http://lintraining.com/module/database/go/10670/

Uni said...

@Umer

Thanks so very much for sharing the links. I will IA have a look at them... now it sounds interesting if it really is in 'development' phase in our country :)

Karachi is ahead ? :S I don't think so :P

Umer said...

It's hard for me to believe as well. :P But a CS friend who happens to be a perfect computer Geek, and who spent some time in Karachi doing projects, said so.

Umer said...

I'm also using Linux(and have pretty much decided to stay on this OS rather than Windows) btw because we're also studying OS.

Uni said...

Well then it must be true :)... and nice! (I love it when something creative is going on here -- warna everything is about usage and pretty much no innovation!)

Now I'm more interested in OS. Thank you :)

yousuf said...

its completely wrong to say that pakistan is not doing anything with OS development, we make embedded devices for custom industrial applications, and we made our own OS! (albeit its a linux kernel stripped and modified)

Uni said...

Alright ... so you also say that OS development work is being carried out on a higher scale in Karachi?

(somehow, this fact is SO hard to swallow :P)

yousuf said...

define: higher scale?

Uni said...

define: higher scale?

Compared to the rest of the country, I meant.